Auteur Topic: [Boek] Trench Book - Nick Foulkes  (1844 keer gelezen)

Daedalus

• Gebruiker
    • Bekijk profiel
[Boek] Trench Book - Nick Foulkes
Gepost op: 11 maart 2008 – 18:45:33

Like so many other military staples before it, the trenchcoat has successfully gone from the front lines to the front row, building an interesting history in form, fabric, and fan base in the process. In "The Trench Book" (Assouline), journalist and historian Nick Foulkes dissects the garment that has been loved by officers, gentlemen, and flashers since the mid-nineteenth century. Here, the author gets personal about his topic, stressing that "anyone who is interested in dressing well must be interested in the trench."

Where did your love affair with the trenchcoat begin?
I've always been interested in smart clothes. I liked to watch old films just to see what the men were wearing. When I was going to school there were jumble sales where you could find really great old suits and trenches. You could buy them very cheaply in those days—and you could fit a half bottle of spirits in the pockets and no one would notice! So I had this amazing wardrobe that was made on Savile Row and cost nothing.

When were the golden years for the trench?
It seems wrong to talk about trench warfare as a golden age, as there was so much killing, but that's when I think it was at its best. And in "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp", a 1943 film directed by Powell and Pressburger. That for me is the perfect trench. I quite like the 1850's as an era as well, so that would be number two on my list. At that point, it was not exactly a trench, but an Aquascutum coat with a military function. And then there's always Peter Sellers [as Inspector Clouseau].

Why do you think trenchcoats have stood the test of time—and continue to be reinterpreted by designers every season?
One reason is that they last a really long time. They're meant to be indestructible, which makes them the ultimate environmentally friendly coat—the use they get being recycled by so many different owners! They're also immensely practical. Plus, military clothing always influences fashion. You put this thing on and you feel powerful. It looks good on anyone, irrespective of physique. In a trench, men feel like a swaggering officer, and there's little better than a woman wearing one that's tightly belted.

Who's your trench icon?

Many people think of Humphrey Bogart but I'm afraid I'm going have to stick with good ol' Colonel Blimp.

What do you think all of the designer interpretations of this classic?
The trench has survived to become a fashion icon because it functions as a spare-parts bin for designers who can look at it in its original form and say, "Ooh, I'll take that detail and incorporate it into my own design." Which ensures that it will survive for future generations.
—Celia Ellenberg

http://www.amazon.com/Trench-Book-Nick-Foulkes/dp/2759401634

De auteur is een goede bekende op de stylefora,

Ook van hem:

En ook
Last of the Dandies : The Scandalous Life and Escapades of Count D'Orsay
cyka blyat

Monsieur Seriziat

• Gebruiker
    • Bekijk profiel
Reactie #1 Gepost op: 11 maart 2008 – 18:52:16
Interessante post D.  =D>

Nick Foulkes is trouwens ook te zien in een van de delen van de Savile Row documentaire waar hij zich een pak laat aanmeten.

paulbrussel

• Gebruiker
    • Bekijk profiel
Re: [Boek] Trench Book - Nick Foulkes
Reactie #2 Gepost op: 11 maart 2008 – 21:58:23
Citaat van: "Daedalus"
Alweer een laatste dandy? Zo scandaleus was zijn leven, geloof ik, niet. In ieder geval geeft de wikipedia de foute familienaam Grimod in plaats van Grimaud; de grafelijke familie d'Orsay is trouwens in 1956 uitgestorven.

Sergio

• Administrator
  • Gebruiker
    • Bekijk profiel
    • Vanità - modern tailors
Reactie #3 Gepost op: 11 maart 2008 – 22:23:47
Citaat van: "paulbrussel"
Citaat van: "Daedalus"
Alweer een laatste dandy? Zo scandaleus was zijn leven, geloof ik, niet. In ieder geval geeft de wikipedia de foute familienaam Grimod in plaats van Grimaud; de grafelijke familie d'Orsay is trouwens in 1956 uitgestorven.

Dat is het mooie van de Wikipedia, pas je het zelf toch even aan! Wiki's staan vaak vol met fouten.
If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Never expect to get a lot by paying a little
Style isn't a question of life or death: it's much more important than that.

Vanità - modern tailors

Bachelor

• Gebruiker
    • Bekijk profiel
Reactie #4 Gepost op: 11 maart 2008 – 22:35:50
2 fraaie boeken Daedalus, morgen even op Bol kijken :D

paulbrussel

• Gebruiker
    • Bekijk profiel
Reactie #5 Gepost op: 11 maart 2008 – 22:56:43
Citaat van: "Sergio"
Dat is het mooie van de Wikipedia, pas je het zelf toch even aan! Wiki's staan vaak vol met fouten.
Dat is waar, Sergio, maar ik heet geen Mabel :).

Sergio

• Administrator
  • Gebruiker
    • Bekijk profiel
    • Vanità - modern tailors
Reactie #6 Gepost op: 11 maart 2008 – 23:05:41
Citaat van: "paulbrussel"
Dat is waar, Sergio, maar ik heet geen Mabel :).

Zolang jouw achternaam geen Grimaud is maken ze daar geen probleem van hoor ;-)
If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Never expect to get a lot by paying a little
Style isn't a question of life or death: it's much more important than that.

Vanità - modern tailors

Daedalus

• Gebruiker
    • Bekijk profiel
Reactie #7 Gepost op: 12 maart 2008 – 00:43:10
Citaat van: "Monsieur Seriziat"
Interessante post D.  =D>

Nick Foulkes is trouwens ook te zien in een van de delen van de Savile Row documentaire waar hij zich een pak laat aanmeten.

Klant bij Anderson & Sheppard.
cyka blyat

paulbrussel

• Gebruiker
    • Bekijk profiel
Reactie #8 Gepost op: 12 maart 2008 – 10:37:41
Pffff - als je daar eenmaal aan begint, blijf je bezig, zeg! Met al die verwijzingen en dan ook nog eens in de verschillende taalversies. Ik stop ermee.